Wayland Little League Coach extraordinaire Eddie Bumstead leading from the front.
Wayland Little League is an all-volunteer, "parent powered" organization who rely on as many parents and guardians like you getting involved in anyway they can.
Coaches must have understanding, patience and the capacity to work with children. The manager and coach should be able to inspire respect. Above all else, managers and coaches must realize that they are helping to shape the physical, mental and emotional development of young people.
We ask the following of our baseball and softball coaches:
- Attend the coaches’ clinic.
- Develop the skills and fundamentals of all members of the team, regardless of skill level or prior knowledge. Instruct players at a level they can understand.
- Games are for the players to improve their playing skills and abilities.
- All players will be afforded an equal opportunity and bc encouraged to participate and try all aspects of the game.
- Make it fun for players of all abilities. Use positive reinforcement.
- Adhere to the WBSA coaching philosophy, and abide by the Code of Conduct.
- Be a positive role model for your players. Use conflicts as an opportunity to demonstrate leadership.
- Respect the judgment of the umpires.
- Treat your players and opposing players and coaches with respect.
Wayland Little League runs programs throughout the year and we’re always looking for people to join us to help out in any capacity.
We hold monthly meetings that are open to anyone so we welcome you to come by and listen, provide input, and learn what kind of volunteer opportunities are available. Please contact us more information on how you can get involved.
In addition to coaching, there are also plenty of other opportunities to get involved as well.
We ask and encourage for you to get involved, especially with coaching, without coaching and volunteers there would be no season, so please consider participating in any way you can.
We are currently planning for the upcoming season and need your assistance as we are in the process of setting up the leagues, coaches and key positions.
Head Coaches: We are always looking for parents to help with the program – particularly with the younger grades. If you have played baseball in High School and/or College and would be interested in coaching please reach out and let us know!
The head coach is responsible for:
- Practice scheduling and practice plans
- Game schedules / rearranging games etc.
- Creating team line-ups.
- Managing the game,
- Communicating with the other teams head coach
- Communicating with the umpire staff.
Assistant Coaches: Assists the head coach with practices and games. Takes on the duties of the head coach in his/her absence. Assistant coaches will help with things such as:
- Assisting the team coach.
- Assisting with or running team practices
- Bench Coach - keeping the batting line up moving or helping the catcher on with their equipment.
- Base Coach during a game.
- Score Keeper
- Pitch Counter
Team Managers: We looking to have one parent manager for each team. Team Managers are generally are responsible for all team administration / email communication relative to practices and games etc. Other responsibilities would include assisting with transportation and other team requirements not directly linked with playing.
Additionally the manager will help coordinate raffle sales for their team and help coordinate any team specific events.
Team Scorekeeper: Responsible keeping score with the official score book and reporting scores for each game.
To register now as a coach assistant coach or other volunteer positions click here.
Those who volunteer to coach in a WLL program find it a worthwhile and rewarding experience that teaches much more than how to play a sport in the formative period of a child’s development.